Stipends & Benefits
UHS Transitional Year and Preliminary Medicine Year Benefits
SALARY $55,000 (Year)
- Insurance Coverage
- Health Insurance: UHS is partnered with Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to provide our employees with UHS Preferred Provider Organization (UHS PPO). UHS covers a major portion of the health insurance premiums. Premiums are deducted bi-weekly from your paycheck.
- Pharmacy: Prescriptions may be filled through UHS, Community Practice Pharmacy, a Blue Cross network pharmacy or through mail order. Costs will be lowest at the Community Practice Pharmacy.
- Life Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital, equal to your annual salary.
- Malpractice Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital.
- Dental Insurance: Standard and high option dental plans available at shared cost with the hospital.
- Personal Time Off (vacations, holidays, board exams, interviews, unexpected absences including illnesses)
- PGY 1: 18 days
- Moving Allowance
- A moving allowance of $300 is provided to each resident.
- Professional Development Fund
- Each resident is allotted $750/year to be used for educational expenses and professional fees and/or activities (i.e. books, PDA's, software, stethoscopes, etc.).
- Academic Appointments
- All residents receive an academic appointment as a Clinical Assistant Instructor at Upstate Medical University (SUNY), Syracuse, New York
- Osteopathic residents receive an additional academic appointment with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Erie, PA.
- Athletic/Gym Privileges
- Residents have access to the non-fee based athletic facilities at Binghamton University: gymnasium, weight room, indoor and outdoor tracks, pools, racquetball and tennis courts.
- Meal allowance provided for residents on call as well as stocked refrigerator in lounges.
ON-SITE HOUSING - Eckelberger Tower
On-site housing is conveniently located across from the hospital. This spacious and comfortable facility is for residents, fellows and visiting medical students. Rent includes: heat, electric, water, air conditioning, standard cable television and wireless internet. Free laundry facilities, fitness center, parking, and trash removal.
1 Bedroom: $550/month
2 Bedroom: $675/month
3 Bedroom: $900/month