Our Internal Medicine Residency Program offers you an outstanding environment in which to continue your training in a patient centered, primary care setting. Through a flexible curriculum structure, Internal Medicine residents are afforded the opportunity to focus their training in specific areas that are of most need in the medical community such as Hospitalist Medicine. The program has over 50 years of experience in training Internists.
- Dually accredited program offers AOA and ACGME board certification.
- A team approach to floor medicine offering the best environment for learning and practice.
- High traffic clinics with a wide diversity of patient populations and pathology.
- Strong balance between clinical experience, didactic learning and outstanding quality of life.
- No competing residencies.
- A strong balance of hands-on clinical and academic training, research opportunities and a regular schedule of conferences and grand rounds.
- Ambulatory training.
- Gain competency performing board-required procedures: bone marrow aspirations, EKG readings, thoracentesis, intravenous acquisition and paracentesis.
- Special elective rotations in hospitalist medicine, women's health, indigent care, geriatrics, ambulatory internal medicine, addiction medicine, HIV care and critical care.
- A wide range of full-time, part-time and volunteer faculty from practices throughout the area.
- Faculty appointment as Clinical Assistant Instructor of Upstate Medical University.
- Moonlighting opportunities in the second and third years of residency.
- Comprehensive board certification preparation.
- Graduates have obtained fellowships such as: Hematology/Oncology, Critical Care, Endocrinology, Rheumatology, Cardiology, etc.
Faculty represent specialties including:
Addiction Medicine, Cardiology, Critical Care, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, General Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, Hematology/Oncology, Hospitalist Service, Infectious Diseases, Nephrology, Neurology, Palliative Care, Pulmonology, Rheumatology
Fellowships after UHS Residency
UHS residency graduates are very successful in earning fellowships. Below are Internal Medicine graduates who have earned fellowships since 1998:
|Nassar Hajar, MD||Gastroenterology, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY|
|Ngozi Mezu-Patel, MD||Infectious Disease, Louisiana State University Hospital, New Orleans, LA|
|Shivani Purohit, MD||Rheumatology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA|
|Carol Chung, DO||Geriatrics, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA|
|Hassan Bencheqroun,||MD Pulmonary & Critical Care, Tufts University, Boston, MA|
|Aleksandr Kats, MD||Sports Medicine, UHS Wilson Medical Center, Johnson City, NY|
|Ravi Chandrashekhar, MD||Sleep Medicine, JFK Neuroscience Institute, Edison, NJ|
|Hossein Zarrini, MD||Sports Medicine, UHS Wilson Medical Center, Johnson City, NY|
|Bella Zimilevich, MD||Geriatrics, UHS Wilson Medical Center, Johnson City, NY|
|Donna Husmann, MD||Geriatrics, UHS Wilson Medical Center, Johnson City, NY|
|Matt Karpenko, DO||Hematology/Oncology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH|
|Chukwudum Uche, MD||Infectious Disease, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA|
|Ghulam Abbas, MD||Geriatrics, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY|
|Alicia Smilowicz, DO||Neuromusculoskelatal Medicine, University of North Texas, Fort Worth, TX|
|Yaser Yousif, MD||Anesthesia, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI|
|Joyce Williams, DO||Rheumatology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA|
|Jennifer Kelly, DO||Endocrinology, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY|
|Ankur Puri, MD||Pulmonary/Critical Care, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY|
|Kayvan Kamali, MD||Rheumatology, Cooper Hospital, Camden, NJ|
|Jaffar Raza, MD||Cardiology, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC|
|Atulkumar Vachhani, MD||Gastroenterology, University of California, San Diego, CA|
|Milagro Cortes-Mercado, MD||Cardiology, University of Puerto Rico|
|Timothy Hendrickson, DO||Nephrology, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY|
|Scott Legunn, MD||Rheumatology, University of Vermont, Burlington VT|
|Bridget Akel, DO||Endocrinology, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse NY|